Jubilee Trophy – 7 March
Last Wednesday (7 March 2018) LBPC hosted the Jubilee Trophy Print Competition.
This competition is one of three organised jointly by LBPC and New City Photographic Society for individuals to enter. Being at the northern end of the Chilterns Association of Camera Clubs, LBPC and NCPS have opened these competitions to other clubs at the extremities of the adjoining Federations (East Anglia Federation and Midland Counties Photographic Federation). The aim is to promote a wider experience for club members than is offered by internal competitions, but maintaining a local camaraderie that would be lost in the national competitions and salons.
The three competitions cover Prints, Projected Digital Images and Audio-Visuals and (rotating the medium) two competition nights are held each season. The winner of each competition holds the Jubilee Trophy until the next competition (about 4-8 months).
The judge for this print event was Dave Hipperson. Dave has been a keen photographer for over 40 years and a CACC (Chilterns Association of Camera Clubs) judge for several years. He is a member of the Park Street Camera Club in St Albans.
Members of the relevant clubs could enter three prints on an individual basis and 75 images were submitted. There was no set theme or subject and the entries covered a wide range of subject matter and approach – birds, people, flowers, insects, boats, trains, cityscapes, landscapes, seascapes, starscapes, street, portraiture, still life, colour and monochrome were all represented.
Dave had “pre-judged” the prints and arranged them in order. They were displayed on the night in reverse order while Dave provided critical analysis and other commentary.
The results were then as follows
- 1st – “Cool Elegance” by Jo Glenister (Ampthill & District CC)
- 2nd – “Saxifragaceae” by Lisa Winson (Olney CC)
- 3rd – “Apple Pod Thingy” by Nick Steadman (Buckingham CC)
- Highly Commended – “High Key” by Simon Rayner (NCPS)
- Highly Commended – “Bittern in Flight” by Neil Schofield (NCPS)
- Highly Commended – “Catch of the Day” by Neil Schofield (NCPS)
- Commended – “Elterwater Dawn” by Simon Rayner (NCPS)
- Commended – “Kisses” by Jamie White (NCPS)