iOS: How to Add The ‘LBPC Programme Calendar’ on Your iPhone or iPad
The default Calendar App on the iPhone and iPad lets you subscribe to any calendar that provides a compatible URL. As long as you have the link for the subscription, you’re good to go. On iOS it’s possible to access the LBPC Programme Calendar in the Calendars App. This lets you access the Club’s Programme without having to visit the website and its always up to date. Here’s how to do it.
iOS Default Calendar App
Depending on the model of iPhone you have (iPhone 4 to iPhone 10), will determine which version of iOS the phone will be running. For example, the iPhone 4 is no longer supported by Apple and the latest version of iOS it can run is iOS 7. Likewise, the iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, or fourth-generation iPad are restricted to iOS 10. Why is this important? Only in that the way you access and configure the settings to add the LBPC Programme Calendar is slightly different depending on the version of the iOS operating system your phone is running. Below, we cover the two methods most Club members will encounter.
iOS Versions 11 & 12
Typically this will be the iPhone 6/6 Plus and later up to the iPhone X.
Normally, when you tap a shared Google calendar link on your iPhone (ICS
), you’ll see a dialogue box that asks: “This website is trying to show you a calendar invite. Do you want to allow this?” But when you allow it, it will ask you to add all of the events to your own calendar, whether that’s iCloud or a local calendar
. That’s not the way you want to go, because it will clutter up your personal calendar.
- Copy, (don’t click) this link:
- Then, on your iPhone or iPad go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords > Add Account > Other.
Tap on Add Subscribed Calendar.
In the Server section, paste that ICS link you copied in step 1 above.
Next, you can choose a Description,
The username and password are not required, so you can ignore this.
Finally, tap the Use SSL switch, and hit the Save button.
- Go back to your home screen and go into your calendar. The subscribed LBPC calendar should now appear.
- If it doesn’t, click Calendars and choose the name you entered in the Description in Step 5 above, from the list.
You’re good to go.
IOS Versions 10 & Older
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
Tap on Add Account… under the Mail section.
Tap on Other.
- Tap on Add Subscribed Calendar under the Other section.
Enter or copy in the server location of the calendar. For LBPC this is:
- The username and password are not required, so you can ignore this.
- Tap the Use SSL switch.
- Tap the Next button.
Tap the Save button.
That’s it, the subscribed Calendar will now show up in the Calendar app.
If you don’t have an Apple iPhone, in the UK you are probably using an Android phone (Android is the operating system, not the manufacturer i.e. Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc.).
You can only add the LBPC Programme Calendar to your Google Calandar using a link:
- On a computer (or using a browser on your mobile device), log into your Google account and open Calendar.
- Next to ‘Add calendars’ on the left, click the icon with three vertical dots (called the ‘Hamburger Menu’).
- Select ‘Add by URL’.
- Enter, or Copy & Paste, the following URL in the field provided:
- Click ‘Add Calendar’.
- Click the Back Arrow next to Settings on the top left of the page.
- The LBPC calendar will appear on the left side under ‘My calendars’ called ‘email@example.com‘
- If you want to change the display name:
- Place the mouse cursor over the text and click the ‘Hamburger Menu’ then select ‘settings and sharing’
- on the Note: It might take up to 12 hours for changes to show in your Google Calendar.
Open a shared calendar in Outlook for iOS
Open a shared calendar in Outlook for Android